Friday, September 11, 2015

How to be a better player

I might make a YouTube channel, at some point, for D&D and RPG videos. On there, this will be one of the topics I cover - inspired by ya'll. For the time being, read this over and take it to heart.

1. If it's not fun, it's your own fault.

I've DM'd for a long, long time, but I've played a lot too. I've played with seasoned DM's, hell the creators of D&D, and with brand new DMs. I can have fun no matter who is running it. If I want to better picture the world around my character, truly "see" the environment, I ask questions. Where am I? A dungeon, what are the walls made up of? The floor? Is there a carpet, potentially with something under it? What are the exits? It's because I've DM'd for so long, I know what goes into making a game and what's demanded of the DM; being this inquisitive will help the DM flesh out the world - BUT - be reasonable. There's a fine line between pestering too much and asking for the world to be developed.

If I want fun combat, I get creative with my attacks. I put a little detail into the description of my attack. If I want roleplaying, I'll chat with the other players or NPCs, get to know them. The DM's role is to throw together a world for me to assist in bringing to life. DM's rarely have to "drive" with me.

However, there is a point where I can monopolize the game. Hell, I've done it before and it sucks for other players. So, point 2.

2. Be a team player. This is incredibly important.

The game is not all about you. PAY ATTENTION. Pay attention to what the DM says and what other players are doing. Don't just wait for your turn to speak, become engaged in what's going on around you.

Don't pout if things don't go your way. If you just discovered this awesome secret door that leads to a mysterious set of stairs, stairs that are essentially dripping with the promise of adventure ... but the team wants to sweep through the floor your on before embarking below, compromise. If you're out voted, you'll just ruin your own fun by crossing your arms and pouting.

No comments:

Post a Comment